Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Favourite Characters: The Girl Who Was On Fire


Thanks to my blog brother Bookmonkey for touting the memorably villainous President Snow.

But, for every terrible tyrant there should be a blazing spirit of righteous rebellion. To whit; my favourite character in Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games trilogy: Katniss Everdeen. (Luminous rendering by Loleia.)

These young adult novels are outstanding! I'm talking immediately and magically engaging. Practically grabbed me by the throat and forced their terrible visions upon me- in a good way.

WHAT A HORRIBLE FUTURE! Three generations of sadistic, televised, teenage combat to the death via a cruel lottery forced on the cowed and starving populace of Panem by the well-fed Capitol.

We see it all through the eyes of our brave and resourceful protagonist, Katniss. Which of 24 tributes will be the survivor? Who can lead the huddled masses of the 12 Districts to victory?

These books made me FURIOUS at the injustice of it all. Perhaps only our literally incendiary heroine can end these abominations...

I demand a victory for humankind in the face of such tribulation. May it ever be thus!

Oh, dear readers, do yourselves a favour and READ these books!

No comments: